Monday, March 15, 2010

Jackson Pollock

The painting I chose to analyze is Jackson Pollock's "Autumn." Jackson Pollock is an abstract expressionist artist. He has multiple famous paintings on canvases. He has a tremendous ability to collaborate colors and paint to create masterpieces. What I see in the painting next to me is a contrast of colors. By viewing the title prior to viewing the painting you actually get to see an image of what Pollock was trying to paint. The painting "Autumn" to the left has the same coincidence. Once I saw that "Autumn" was the title and then I actually saw the painting itself, the colors stuck out to me. The light colors are sort of being overwhelmed by the darker colors. This is only natural that our eyesight see this (darker colors stand out much more). So in this case, Pollock overpowers the lighter images in the painting with the darker colors. This symbolizes the transition from summer to fall and fall into winter. When we associate the seasons with colors, we see winter as the darkest month (both in actuality and psychologically) and vice versa with summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment