Monday, March 15, 2010


I chose a drawing by Rembrandt to discuss and analyze. The reason for choosing this piece is because I like how he used different weight of line to have this man's hat and face stand out. Rembrandt did a great job using light sketch on a different type of paper to portray what I see as a broken old man. By the look of his facial expression and overall style I believe he is of asian descent. This drawing in my mind evokes sadness and loneliness being that this man is alone and seems cold and homeless.
It surprises me how a small sketch of this nature can bring out so much emotion from the viewer. By taking up just the right amount of space to have a clear sketch while placing nothing in the foreground or background, Rembrandt is showing that this man is alone and in my mind cold and homeless due to the old ruffled clothes and full beard. The artist did a great job through the idea of weight of line and sketching to depict this man.


No comments:

Post a Comment