Monday, May 3, 2010

Primary Separation



This piece by Don Gummer I found very interesting. In the photograph you see a rock that is split in to two pieces. The way the rock is split caught my attention because it is such a clean split. The two rocks are being held above the ground by a series of metal poles and wires. The way Gummer keeps the rocks above ground almost makes them appear as if they are floating. This allows the rocks to stand out more. I found the color of the rocks to be very appealing. The two rocks seem almost exactly the same making you believe someone or something separated the two. On the other hand the cut appears too perfect to be true. This made me question if the rock was split, or if Gummer pick out two similar rocks of shape, size, and color. I then looked at the title of this piece "Primary Separation". I asked myself why use the word primary. Primary of course you should know means first or chief. I then did research on the word primary and I found out that there is chemistry meaning for Primary. Primary can also mean noting or containing a carbon atom united to no other or to only one other carbon atom in a molecule. So by using the term Primary Separation is Don Gummer trying to display an atom splitting? If that is the case then you could say that Gummer is showing through art something that is unattainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment