Monday, April 26, 2010

Firecrotch


Rita Ackerman's piece "Firecrotch" (2008) is a new addition to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Miami, Florida. I chose this piece because at first the title really grabbed me. As I looked close I saw that Ackerman used printed paper, yarn, cardboard, tape, spray paint, charcoal, and tempera to create this image inside two pieces of plexiglas. I found that very unique about this piece. I also really liked how the red hair stands out in this piece. Ackerman uses a mixture of red yarn and spray paint to display the red in this piece. The piece as a whole is very interesting because it is completely out of proportion. The head on this being in enormous compared to the body and the hands. And when you look at the face in this piece the eyes are really large. There also appears to be more than two hands in this piece, and a third leg as well. Now the title of this piece is firecrotch but you can't even see the crotch. The rest of the hair on around the body is red, but you can't see if there is red hair on the crotch. I found this interesting because it feels like I am making the assumption that this person has a "firecrotch", but I don't know if that's true. Overall I really enjoyed this piece because it is original and made me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment